Historic Detroit

Gabriel Richard Building

The building was originally named the David Stott Building, the first of two buildings in the city to have that name, with the second opening in 1929.

The first tenant of this 10-story commercial building was Weil & Co., a furniture store. The store had previously been on Woodward Avenue. The structure was designed by the Chicago firm Marshall & Fox and of steel-framed construction. The exterior was covered in cream-colored terra cotta.

In more recent years, the building housed the Archdiocese of Detroit.

In January 2015, the building was sold for a reported $3.2 million to Barbat Holdings, which planned to turn it into 388 market-rate apartments.

More on this building coming soon.