This sprawling complex on East Jefferson Avenue near the foot of the Belle Isle bridge was built in stages and designed by different architects. It was built for Morgan & Wright, initially a bicycle tire manufacturer, but would grow into one of the largest tiremakers in the world.
The plant made a variety of tires, including “nobby” tread, “usco” tread, “chain” tread, “plain” tread and “royal cord.” By 1916, it was a division of the U.S. Tire Co.
The complex would eventually become Uniroyal.
Much more on this building coming soon.