This monument to Abraham Lincoln was originally located on the front lawn of the Lincoln Motor Co. plant at West Warren and Livernois in Detroit. It was a gift given to Henry M. Leland, founder of the company.
The statue is a one of seven castings and was designed by Alfonso Pelzer (sometimes written as Alphonso, Alphonse and Alphonzo) for the City of Lincoln, N.J. The inscription reads, "Let man be free."
It was gifted by Lincoln Motor to the Detroit Parks Commission and moved to its present location at the Skillman Branch of the Detroit Public Library downtown on April 17, 1958.
The Lincoln statue was damaged by vandals in 1969 and restored and rededicated in 1986.