Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Athletic Pavilion

This pavilion was designed by architect Edward A. Schilling as a bicycle shelter and even included a repair shop when it opened Aug. 4, 1899.

The Detroit Free Press called the pavilion "a monument to one of the most marked and widely appreciated innovations of our modern civilization."

However, given the building’s location next to the athletic field, it was soon turned into the Athletic Pavilion.

Though it has been altered from its original design, the Pavilion is the fourth-oldest building on the island - and a reminder of what this grand old park looked like when it was still new.