The Clifford opened in 1923 at Clifford and Duffield streets, the latter of which was later eliminated for the Fisher Freeway Service Drive.
It was built by Robert M. Drysdale, and replaced a number of old frame houses that stood on the site. Steel and concrete construction with stone and terra cotta facing. The lower two floors were faced with gray granite. It cost about $1.25 million to build. The architect was Joseph P. Jogerst.
It was an apartment hotel, so it featured all of the amenities and service of a hotel for its residents. It offered two- and three-room suites that were furnished and decorated. The 10-story, fireproof building featured amenities such as "iceless" refrigeration, personal bathrooms for each room, phone service and more.
The building had eight storefronts on the ground floor and a basement concourse that was home to a barber and hair-dressing shop, as well as the Clifford's recreation features.
"Families of refinement are now making this their permanent home," an ad from November 1923 noted.
It was demolished in the 1990s.