This Presbyterian church in Detroit's Indian Village neighborhood was designed by legendary Detroit architect Wirt C. Rowland, who also did the Guardian and Penobscot buildings. Rowland was working for the firm Smith, Hinchman & Grylls at the time.
The cornerstone was laid in 1924.
It took four years to build, at a total cost of more than $1.25 million. The first service was held on Palm Sunday, 1926, for the workmen who built the church and their families. The building was dedicated on Easter Sunday, March 28, 1926.
This church was largely financed by the Dodge automotive family.
The stained glass windows are renowned, having been designed by the Willet Stained Glass Co. of Philadelphia.
The carillon was installed in 1926 and features 23 bells cast by the Gillet & Johnston foundry. They have a total weight of 12,096 pounds.
More on this church coming soon.