This castle-looking building had the distinction of hosting the first Detroit auto show, on Feb. 27, 1902.
The gray-stone building, designed by the firm Malcomson & Higginbotham, was located on the northwest corner of East Larned and Brush streets. It opened in 1897.
In addition to being the drill hall for the Light Guard, its large auditorium was used for concerts, circuses, conventions, political rallies and large festivities.
In 1945, the building was destroyed by fire and torn down shortly thereafter.
This building was not to be confused with the Detroit Light Infantry Armory, designed by H.H. Richardson, that stood at 46 E. Congress St.
The Millender Center apartment building stands on the site today.