Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Otto Schemansky & Sons

Otto Schemansky & Sons has been helping honor Detroit's dead since 1883. From 1915 until about 1930, it operated out of this oddly shaped building on Gratiot Avenue.

The building was designed by the firm Mildner & Eisen, and stood at Gratiot and Jos Campau, in the McDougall-Hunt neighborhood.

By 1930, the company had relocated to 13702 Van Dyke Ave., across from Forest Lawn Cemetery, where it continues to operate today. The site of this building is a vacant lot.