This bell in Palmer Park is more than 220 years old.
This bell was cast in Spain in 1793 by Paula Gomez. It was taken to Mexico more than 200 years ago. Sen. James McMillan, William A. Moore and others raised funds to procure the bell in order to give it to Sen. Thomas W. Palmer. Palmer gave this 1,015-pound bell and his summer home, as well as the 140 acres of land around it, to the City of Detroit. That land became Palmer Park. The bell continues to hang just to the west of the log cabin.