This church at Jefferson and St. Antoine is now Detroit’s oldest standing church, having been consecrated June 29, 1848, the feast day of Sts. Peter and Paul. It is the oldest surviving church building in the city, and one of Detroit's oldest structures.
It took four years to build, reportedly because Bishop Peter Paul Lefevere insisted on paying for construction as it proceeded, in order to avoid any debt. The architect was Francis Latourneau.
For nearly 30 years, this church was Detroit’s cathedral, succeeding Ste. Anne’s, which had been the cathedral for the Michigan Territory. In 1877, it was turned over to the Jesuits in return for their promise to establish a college in Detroit, so this cathedral became a parish church. The Jesuits were true to their word, founding Detroit College next door, which has since grown into today's University of Detroit Mercy.