The 5-story structure was known originally as the Edwin S. George Building, and when designed by Albert Kahn in 1908, was only two stories tall.
Kahn expanded the building to five stories in 1914. A look at the windows shows the difference between the original two floors and the addition.
In 1999 the building was redeveloped with retail and loft space. The building is a substantial part of Midtown's redevelopment.
Main entrance detail as seen from Woodward Ave.
The Garfield building from a distance
The Garfield Building cornice from a distance