The Pontchartrain and Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Work wraps up on the cornice of the Pontchartrain, before the addition was tacked on.
The main entrance of the Hotel Pontchartrain
The legendary bar of the Hotel Pontchartrain, where the auto industry was born.
The south side of the Pontchartrain, looking north up Woodward Avenue from the Detroit River.
The lobby of the Pontchartrain
The Pontch on Campus Martius, looking south down Woodward Avenue toward the Detroit River
The Pontchartrain about 1907, as work was wrapping up
The Pontch with its addition
The banquet hall in the 1910 addition, seen here hosting the New England Society dinner in December 1914.
The Pontch's lobby, dignified and not over-the-top with glitz and glamour.
One of the Pontch's many, many, many hallways
Looking east on Fort toward the Pontch. The Hammond Building is at right.
A different Detroit: The Pontch, far left, sometime between 1907 and 1909, before the addition was tacked onto the top.
The Pontch as it originally looked, before the 1910 addition was tacked onto the top.
The Pontch rises at Woodward Avenue and Cadillac Square
Construction begins on the Pontch. Looking west toward Old City Hall from Cadillac Square.
The billiards room
One of the fancier hotel rooms
One of the cheaper, more basic hotel rooms
The Pontch, at far left, and looking south on Woodward Avenue toward the river from Old City Hall
The Pontch, far left, and Campus Martius in 1916. Old City Hall is at far right.
The Pontchartrain before its roof addition