Work crews prepare to move the Advanced Glove building in 1948. Image Source: Detroit Free Press, September 19, 1994.
From the Detroit Free Press archives; Retouching by Helmut Ziewers
One of the first freeways to be built in Detroit was the John C. Lodge Expressway, and the Advance Glove factory stood in its path. The construction of this freeway, which began in January 1947, destroyed thousands of homes and buildings in the city. But the Advance Glove factory was spared, and was instead jacked up and rolled 250 feet westward in 1948, from the corner of Lafayette and Fourth Street to the corner of Lafayette and Fifth Street. The photo shows the future home of John K. King Books in 1936.
Image source unknown
The same block in 1962, fourteen years after the building was moved.
Image source unknown - Retouching by Helmut Ziewers