Historic Detroit

Every building in Detroit has a story — we're here to share it

Union Depot - Old photos

The silent tracks in the early 1970s.

The lobby after renovations in 1946.

The lobby after renovations in 1946.

The lobby after renovations in 1946.

The clock tower read "IIII" instead of "IV."

Workers clean the depot's clock.

Marshall Fredericks' "Romance of Transportation" is unveiled in the lobby in May 1951.

The Union Depot saw transportation change from horses to cars.

The main entrance on Fort Street

The boarded tunnel to the tracks in 1971, three years before the depot was razed.

The ticketing counter after the depot's modernization.

The Lodge (M-10) Freeway goes in next to the Union Depot about 1950.

The restaurant in the depot, in 1948, after its modernization.

The modernized waiting room

The depot sits empty

The Union Depot and Fort Street Presbyterian Church on a stormy night.

The Union Depot from Third looking west

The Fort Street entrance of the depot

The Detroit News Building under construction, showing the Union Depot and Fort Street Presbyterian in the background.

The Sportsman pulls out of Union Dept in Detroit in 1958.