This stately Italian Romanesque skyscraper was designed by "the dean of Detroit architects," George D. Mason, who designed the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, the Detroit Masonic Temple, the original Hotel Pontchartrain and many more landmarks. It was built for Mrs. Hugo Scherer and was ready for occupancy in early May 1926.
From the City of Detroit Historic Designation Advisory Board: "Eleven stories in height, the Broadway Exchange Building has a concrete and steel frame clad in buff terra cotta, with variegated mauve-hued marble in the mezzanine level on the street façade and in concrete and beige brick on the other façades. The tall and narrow Italian Romanesque -inspired façade displays three vertical banks of paired windows that, flanked by elongated “columns,” rise froth the 4th through the 11th floor; at the top of each bank is a pair of round-headed windows below a centered rondel. The whole capped by an arch springing from the capitals beneath. Crowning the façade is a low gable. The façade, virtually unaltered above the modernized street level, displays a wealth of decoration in terra cotta."
More on this building coming soon.