The Hunt Street Station has a commanding view of Gratiot Avenue, and is located on the corner of Hunt and Dubois streets in the McDougall-Hunt neighborhood.
The building was completed in May 1897 and served as the Third Precinct for the Detroit Police Department for 63 years. Edward Van Leyen, who also designed the Belle Isle Casino, designed the building.
In 1911, Hunt Street Station became home to one of the first police academies in the nation. Officers learned how to handle evidence, appear before a judge, and shoot guns (as evidenced by the bullet holes and slugs still in the space today). In 1927, Henderson Turpin, known as "Mr. Ben," became the precinct's first Black police officer.
The station was vacated by the Police Department in January 1960, when the Hunt and Chene precincts were merged into the Mack-Gratiot Precinct. Since then, the station has been entrusted to a variety of private owners. On Feb., 29, 1980, the precinct was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
In early 2017, Detroiters Matthew and Kevin Morin purchased the building and began a historical renovation to return the building to its former glory. Hunt Street Station is the new home for Macro Connect, the Morins’ education technology consulting company, as well as co-working space.