The historic Saint Columba Episcopal Church was built in 1927 in the English Gothic Revival style and designed by architect Lancelot Sukert who was also known for designing the Scarab Club in Midtown.
St. Columba Church is cruciform in plan and has its main entrance on Manistique Avenue at the south end of the nave. The large crenellated bell tower is located at the eastern side of the nave, just south of the eastern transept. This asymmetric design reflects the English Gothic Revival style favored by Protestant churches.
The building is sheathed in multi-toned limestone, and the slate roof and copper gutters and bell tower louvers are intact. Stone surrounds on the windows, doors, buttresses and end piers emphasize the building's structure. Stained glass windows line the nave, and there is a large stained glass window at the apse.
One of the most outstanding structures in the Jefferson-Chalmers Historic Business District is the St. Columba Activity Hall. The three-story Elizabethan style building houses storefronts under five stone segmental arches at street level.
The slate roof, cast stone window surrounds, and striking design make the structure stand out among its brick multiple-storefront block neighbors.