Bishop Newman laid the church cornerstone in September of 1891.
In the early years, the Cass membership and constituency were composed almost wholly of well-to-do people.
Cass boasted many of the city’s oldest families and it was one of the most aristocratic churches in Detroit.
Cass has a long reputation of serving those in need since the Great Depression. That's when the church started its first food lines, offering bread and soup to those who were hungry.
Cass Avenue Methodist Church photographed from a distance in July 2023