This Albert Kahn-designed building opened in 1936 on Lafayette Boulevard and Third Street as the home of WWJ-AM's studios.
The station was owned by the Detroit News, and first broadcast from the newspaper's building across the street. The News was the first paper in the country to have its own radio station, broadcasting for the first time Sept. 1, 1920. A year later, it was issued the call letters WBL, before becoming WWJ on March 3, 1922. The station survives today as Detroit's only all-news radio station but has since moved to Southfield.
This building is now known as the Walker-Roehrig Building, home to the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).