West Canfield 662, another mansard roof house, was built by George Prentiss, a lumberman and land owner, and for whom Prentiss Street was named. The home was built in 1884 and he lived here until 1889 when James C. McCaul purchased the house.
Mr. McCaul was the Secretary of the famous Detroit lumber company, Alger, Smith and Company. Mr. McCaul was also auditor of the Detroit, Bay City & Alpena Railroad Company. He lived for many years at this address, until the early part of the 1900's when he passed away.
Here's a list of houses lined up on the north side of W. Canfield between 2nd Ave. and 3rd Ave.. They can also be found on Historic Detroit:
Last updated 19/04/2023